Dear Friend of Carmel Mission,
Like you, we have eagerly anticipated the lessening of COVID-19 restrictions in our state of California. We are following the new guidelines from the State, County and our Diocese of Monterey. Please be aware that each parish has discretion to, within the given parameters, conduct services as best serves their community and their unique conditions.
- The dispensation from the Sunday Obligation will remain in place at this time.
- For fully vaccinated individuals a face mask is not required.. For unvaccinated individuals, a face mask is required indoors.
- Social distancing, either indoors or outdoors, is no longer required.
- We will continue to offer the 11am Mass outdoors in the Central Courtyard, and to offer outdoor seating at our 9am Mass in the Basilica. This provides options to everyone in our community who wishes to attend Mass, either inside the Basilica or outside in the Courtyard. It is our intention to add a 5:30pm Saturday Vigil Mass inside the Basilica beginning in mid-July.
- Entrance for Sunday Masses remains as it has been, through the parish office, formerly school, lot. Temperatures will no longer be taken at the entrance.
- We intend to resume Daily Mass in the Blessed Sacrament Chapel on an initially limited basis in mid-July.
- Congregational singing is now allowed, but those who are unvaccinated must wear a mask or refrain from singing, both indoors and outdoors. We will not be able to offer hymn books at this time, but a limited number of Breaking Bread hymnals do remain available to purchase if you wish. We are happy to announce the return of our Carmel Mission Choir to the 11am Mass.
- The Distribution of the Chalice: The Precious Blood will continue to be suspended at this time until further notice.
- We are looking forward to planning how our ministry activities will resume as we go forward. We have a unique opportunity to build on the solid foundation that has been formed as we have negotiated the many challenges and changes brought about by the pandemic. We will be collaborating with ministry leaders to determine activities, and review and publish policies and procedures on our website.
- Due to the ongoing construction work, Crespi Hall remains closed at this time.
The situation with the pandemic continues to be dynamic, and of great concern in this country and worldwide. We are happy that the safe lessening of restrictions will allow us to return to more of our usual activities, but we are also conscious of the ongoing need to protect the health and safety of our parishioners, our visitors and our staff. This remains our guiding principle as it has been throughout this crisis. Our website remains the best means of staying abreast of conditions at the Mission.
We thank you for your continued support and all you do to make Carmel Mission a very special and sacred place.
Fr. Paul P. Murphy
Pastor, Carmel Mission