What to do at the Carmel Mission:
Visit the Carmel Mission Museum
Shop for gifts at the Museum Store
Attend a mass
Tour historical buildings
Experience one of California’s most important historic sites featuring:
- St. Junípero Serra and the Mission Basilica Shrine The final resting place of Saint Junípero Serra, Founding Father of California
- The Caravaca Cross The personal reliquary cross of Saint Junípero Serra, and one of the most important artifacts of California and Colonial Missionary History.
- Our Lady of Bethlehem Statue The oldest European styled statue of Our Lady brought to Carmel by Saint Junípero Serra.
- The First Library of California A treasure trove collection of colonial era books brought to Carmel by the Franciscan Missionaries.
Places to Visit Nearby:
- Carmel River State Beach: 5 minutes or 1 mile
- Carmel Beach: 6 minutes or 1.5 miles
- Monastery Beach: 4 minutes or 2.1 miles
- Big Sur: 44 minutes or 24.6 miles
- Garrapata: 14 minutes or 8.5 miles
- Point Lobos: 6 minutes or 2.9 miles
- 17 Mile Drive: 16 minutes or 6.9 miles
- Monterey Fisherman’s Wharf: 16 minutes or 5.7 miles
- Cannery Row: 17 minutes or 6.4 miles
- Pebble Beach: 14 minutes or 3.6 miles
The Barnyard: 5 minutes or 1.2 miles
- The Crossroads Carmel: 3 minutes or 0.8 miles
- Downtown Carmel – wide variety of restaurants and eateries: 5 minutes or 1 mile
- Carmel Plaza: 3.4 minutes or 0.8 miles
- Carmel Rancho Shopping Center: 4 minutes or 1.2 miles
- Del Monte Shopping Center: 10 minutes or 4.2 miles
- Downtown Monterey: 13 minutes or 5.4 mile
Majority of the hotels in the Carmel area are in Southeast and Northeast Carmel. They can be found on Junípero street, Monte Verde street, and San Carlos street. They are right next to the Carmel Beach.